A fit body is for life, not just the beach. If you have ever embarked on a dramatic weight loss diet to prepare for your beach holiday, you will know how difficult it is to keep that weight off. Once you are away, you allow yourself to indulge. When you come back you find that the weight has come creeping back. It feels completely unfair but when you look at what happens to your body on a ‘get skinny quickly’ programme, you will understand a fit body is for life, not just the beach.
Many people believe the way to lose weight is through crash dieting. Crash dieting means that you go on a low-calorie diet for a short period of time to shed weight. A low calorie diet is one where you reduce the amount of calories you eat on a daily basis so your body is forced to breakdown tissue – muscle or fat – to provide your body with the energy it needs. There are a number of problems associated with this ‘get slim quick’ method of shifting the pounds. So here is The In-Sync Diet’s advice on how to have a fit body for life:
- Don’t crash diet if you want to stay slim and toned in the long term. Often people want a quick fix where weight loss is concerned. They drastically reduce their calories and as a result, lose muscle instead. This is because it is easier when energy is in short supply to use muscle as an energy source. But really you want to keep hold of as you can because it will keep you burning fat long after your holiday.
- The smallest changes can make the biggest difference. Gradual changes over time can ensure that rather than yo-yo dieting, you are able to achieve sustainable fat burn over a number of months if you wish.
- Losing weight by making extreme changes to your normal diet will cause your metabolism to drop. Contrary to what many people think, your metabolism is not something you are born with that never changes. Eating well at mealtimes and exercising are both things that will keep your metabolism high. But strict dieting will eventually cause it to drop because your brain wants to make sure there is still lots of energy coming into your body.
- Eating a thousand calories of broccoli is not the same as eating 1000 calories of ice cream. There are a number of vitamins and minerals you need to get from your food each day to keep feeling well and full of vitality as well as able to burn fat so focus on the foods that give you the most nourishment.
- Ditch the calorie counting. Calorie counting does not work and forces you to have an unnatural relationship with the food you are eating.
- If you don’t use muscle you lose it. The In-Sync Diet incorporates different types of exercise into a fat burn programme to make sure that you stay fit and healthy long after your holiday is over.