Festive gluten-free pistachio, orange and olive oil cake
This festive pistachio, orange and olive oil cake is pretty much completely In-Sync except for the coconut sugar and it is completely gluten-free. If you are looking for a delicious alternative to Christmas cake, here it is. We have kept the sugar amount fairly low but feel free to make it even lower. With the delicious addition of extra virgin olive oil, the centre comes out beautifully moist and sticky.
Gluten, grain and dairy free
1 loaf serves 8
250g unsalted and shelled pistachios
100ml olive oil
4 eggs, separated
3 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp vanilla extract
100g coconut sugar (organic, unrefined crystallized blossom nectar)
100g ground almonds
grated zest of 1 orange
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Lightly oil a 900g loaf tine and line the base with baking paper.
- Grind the pistachios in a food processor until it forms a consistency similar to the ground almonds. Don’t overdo though as it could start to turn into a paste.
- Mix the egg yolks, orange juice, olive oil and vanilla extract together in a medium sized bowl. In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients together and then empty in the wet ingredients from the other bowl (not the egg whites). Stir well so all the ingredients are well combined and the mixture is evenly moist throughout.
- Whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff and then fold into the cake mixture with a metal spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf tin and bake for 35-40 minutes until the cake feels springy to the touch and skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.