Saffron Chicken and Shiitake Soup
Shiitake mushrooms not only have incredible immune benefits, they can help fight cancer cells, support cardiovascular health, act as an antimicrobial and boost energy and brain function. They are rich in vitamin D, selenium and antioxidants that can protect the skin from getting wrinkles. Certain components of the shiitake mushroom are also known to benefit fat burn and increase satiety. Saffron is also a fantastic antioxidant that can destroy free radicals. And the root galangal, commonly found in Asian cooking, will give your blood circulation a boost bringing oxygen and nutrients to the skin, making it glow.
4 Servings Prep time: 30 mins Cook time: 2 hours Total time: 2 ½ hours
1 kg chicken legs
1 litre water
2 lemon grass stalks
2 spring onions – chopped
1 red chilli – sliced
30g fresh ginger – coarsely chopped
10g galangal – coarsely chopped
2 kaffir lime leaves
1 bunch coriander – chopped keeping stalks and leaves separate
150g dried shitake mushrooms – thickly sliced
4 tablespoons fish sauce
- Put the water into a heavy bottomed pan.
- Strip the outer leaves of the lemon grass and add them to the water.
- Then put in the ginger, chilli and galangal.
- Next add in the lime leaves, coriander stalks, mushrooms and fish sauce.
- Finally add the chicken legs to the mixture and bring to the boil, then keep on a low heat for 1.5 hours with a lid on the pan.
- When the soup is ready, take out the chicken and strip the meat from the bone and put it back in the pot.
- Before serving, sprinkle over the chopped coriander leaves and spring onion.